Sunday, July 12, 2015

San Andreas ~ Movie Review

I am really late posting this review but I wanted to share my thoughts on this surprise family friendly film. I went to see San Andreas a few weeks back at Twin Creek Theaters. I don't know if your theaters have special pricing on weekend mornings like we do here in Omaha - but you should really check. Saturday and Sunday mornings all movies are $5 before 12 & also on Tuesdays ALL DAY. It's great to be able to see a movie and spend less than a tank of gas. lol



About the movie:
San Andreas - what will happen when the BIG one hits? After the San Andreas Fault gives in a magnitude 9+ earthquake in California, a search & rescue helicopter pilot (Dwayne Johnson) and his estranged wife (Carla Gugino) make their way together from Los Angeles to San Francisco to save their only daughter. Their treacherous journey north is only the beginning.....

My thoughts:
I'll be honest, I went because I wanted to see The Rock - I figured that would be the saving grace of this film as I'd have to watch him to ignore the language in the film. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I don't really remember much more than 1-2 words in the entire film that I didn't want to hear. I knew that the movie would be fast paced but I wasn't expecting to be this entertained.

San Andreas opens with the rescue of a young woman whose car goes off a cliff and we have Dwayne Johnson, our brave Rescue Pilot, come to the rescue. Our next major scene shows him picking up his daughter to take her to college from his ex wife's boyfriend's mansion. There he is told they are getting married and we learn about their "relationship" and WHY they split up in the first place.

One of the things I think is sad is that in most movies today the main characters (if it's a man/woman situation) is that they are always divorced or soon to be. This isn't a couple with a strong marriage & relationship where our kids see strength and compassion for the other - in this case it's a couple who are estranged after losing one of their daughters, mom is moving in with her boyfriend and Dad (Dwayne Johnson) is struggling with it. Yes, the right thing is done by the end of the movie - but I would really like to see a powerful movie about a husband and wife team moving forward as a unit. I guess that wouldn't provide enough conflict though and that's a shame.

Another conflict in this movie is Mom's boyfriend - in any other situation I'm sure he is a very nice guy. He certainly comes across that way but when it comes down to the nitty gritty he shows his true nature - a selfish coward who ends up getting his in the end. What a sorry end to a life that could of made a huge difference. It was during a scene between Mom and the boyfriend that we hear one of the few unmentionable words - she is ticked and I didn't blame her a bit! If he had been in the same room as Mom he woulda been a goner!

This movie moves FAST and I found myself jumping at certain unexpected moments & was on the edge of my seat throughout most of it. Very very well written, the writers didn't rely on language or visual smut to carry the story. The photography, stunts and actors were beautifully chosen and thought through and only built the suspense of the film.

I would suggest this movie for kids 10+ unless your kids don't get frightened easily, clearly understand the difference between Reality and Make Belief. Your kids will have questions and it would be an ideal time to answer questions, encourage kids to THINK and even form a plan with your kids for emergencies. This film is very visual and will feel very REAL to your kids - there are storms, earthquakes, fires, cars going off cliffs, helicopters potentially crashing, bridges disintegrating, buildings falling apart during after shocks. Please consider carefully how your kids will handle this kind of event before having them watch San Andreas.

Please click to learn more:
(floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, forest fire)
and more!

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this review in any way.

3 comments:

  1. Looks interesting but intense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very intense & it sticks in your head. It will be one added to my library when its released.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina