Tuesday, May 12, 2015

2015 Summer Reading Suggestions - Week 3


This is the 3rd week of a 5-6 week series where I share the BEST Middle Grade/Teen Fiction books that I've read the last 5 years or so. When I started blogging over on Classic Children's Books I really had no intention of reading & review Middle Grade fiction (to be honest I had never heard the term) but I have found this genre to be interesting, captivating and sometimes nail biting. 

Here is WEEK 3: Swipe!

Swipe (Series)
by Evan Angler
ISBN: 9781400318360
$8.99 (paperback)
$1.99 (kindle)

"Apocalyptic dystopian fiction at it's best. Angler's sharp wit & dexterity with political themes are matched only by the thrilling suspense on every page." ~ Liz Wiehl, New York Times, best selling author & FOX News correspondent

You can read my original review & watch the trailer HERE

I had forgotten about this book until I was scrolling through all the reviews. I was going to do the books that have stuck in my head over the years and when I stumbled over this one I had to go watch the trailer again and read my review and I could immediately feel my mind perk up and my interest peaked. 

I haven't read to many books that fit in the "dystopian" genre and I had to go look up the definition of the word "dystopia":
  1. A dystopia (from the Greek δυσ- and τόπος, alternatively, cacotopia, kakotopia, or anti-utopia) is an imaginary community or society that is undesirable or frightening. It is literally translated as "not-good place", an antonym of utopia. (Wikipedia)
When I was a child my parents church had shown the end times series about the rapture and all the turmoil and struggle that the christians will go through. The feelings I got at age 9 were very similar to the feelings I had reading this book (obviously I'm no longer 9 and have a greater understanding and comfort level). I felt the same rush and uncomfortableness reading this and even watching the trailer.

If you have a kid who loves scary movies (I avoid them with a passion after the movie I watched in church), who loves the RUSH of adrenaline and perhaps is a reluctant reader - they just might like this book and the series it's part of.

Do you have any other books in the dystopia genre that you or your kids have read? What did you like about them?

Disclaimer: This series is part of the 2015 Summer Reading series and I was not requested to post a review or paid to do so. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina